DOUGLAS L. YOUMANS
Represents various health professionals in connection with their business, tax and estate planning, entity selection, employment agreements, leases, deferred compensation plans, buy sell arrangements, merger and acquisitions, third party contracts, practice sales, equipment leasing, and other matters.
EXPERT WITNESS & CONSULTANT
Has been retained as an expert in legal/accounting malpractice cases, as well as real estate, tax, and trust/probate cases.
With over 35 years of in-depth experience in business, estate, real estate, tax planning and controversy work, Mr. Youmans has developed a practice designed to provide multi-dimensional legal services to individuals, executives and business owners who must comply with today’s complex legal system. Mr. Youmans provides expert legal services directly to clients, as well as to their primary attorneys, accountants, financial advisers and other representatives.
Temple University, B.A. (Magna Cum Laude); 1977
McGeorge School of Law, University of the Pacific, J.D., 1980
Golden Gate University, M.B.A., Taxation 1984
U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit, 2017
California State Bar, 1980; Certified Specialist, Taxation Law, 1988
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California, 1982
U.S. Tax Court, 1983
U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit, 1987
Licensed as a CPA by the State Board of Accountancy, 1983
HONORS AND AFFILIATIONS
- State Bar of California
- Executive Committee of the Taxation Section of the State Bar of California, Chair for the 2012-2013 year
- Author and paper presenter for several of the California State Bar Taxation Section’s Annual delegations to Washington D.C.
- Chair of the Corporations and other Business Entities Committee of the State Bar of California Taxation Section
- State Bar of California Probate, Practice Management and Tax Sections, Member
- American Bar Association
- Sacramento County Bar Association
- Society of California Accountants (SCA)
- California Society of CPAs (CALCPA)
- American Institute of CPAs (AICPA)
- Internal Revenue Service Sacramento District Practitioners Liaison Committee, Charter Member and Former Chair
- Franchise Tax Board Advisory Group
- Northern California State Lawyer
AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 Peer Review Rated™ by Martindale-Hubbell®
Adjunct Professor – Golden Gate University, 1985 to Present: Business Law; Tax Research; Estate and Gift Taxation; Estate Planning; Federal Tax Procedures; Tax Aspects of Marital Dissolution; Tax Accounting Periods and Methods; Tax Characterization of Income and Expenses; California State University at Sacramento, 1984-1985: Introduction to Accounting; Managerial Accounting.
Lecturer – 1982 to Present for various professional societies and organizations, including Continuing Education of the Bar, Northern California Tax Conference, Sacramento Board of Realtors, Society of California Accountants (“SCA”), Society of Enrolled Agents, California Society of CPAs (“CALCPA”), International Association of Financial Planners, Gold Country Estate Planning Council, Sacramento Estate Planning Council, Sacramento CPA Law Forum, Internal Revenue Service, Sacramento County Bar Tax Section, Sacramento County Bar Real Estate Section, State Bar, State Bar Tax Section, (Lonnie McGee’s) Annual Tax & Estate Planning Forum.
ARTICLES & EVENTS
The Highs (and Lows) of a Cannabis Tax Practice
Ethical & Tax Considerations for Professionals Advising Marijuana Businesses
Attorney/CPA Privilege Issues
Attorney/CPA Privilege Issues
REPRESENTATIVE PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Advanced Estate Planning
- Tax Deferred Exchanges
- Family Entities
- Tax Issues in Personal Injury Claims
- Generation Skipping Transfer Taxes
- Tax Planning for Real Estate Dispositions and Exchanges
- Circular 230
- Taxation of Capital Assets
- Estate Planning for Small Businesses
- Using California Trusts: Planning, Implementing, Administering and Terminating
- Choice of Entity
- How to Draft Wills and Other Estate Planning
- Tax Updates
- Nuts and Bolts of Corporate Dissolutions
- Nuts and Bolts of S Corporations
- Retirement Plan Distributions
- Asset Protection
- Tax Aspects of Bankruptcy
- Tax Aspects of Co-Ownership of Property
- Tax Consequences of Partnership Dissolutions
- Estate Planning for Family Business Owners
- ULPA 2008
- Domestic Partnerships
- Repeal of the State Death Tax Credit
- Beyond Section 2036; Dealing with Family Entities
- Single Member LLCs and the Effect of the Check the Box Regulations for Estate and Gift Tax Purposes
- Income, Fiduciary and Other Taxes and Issues Dealing with Family Entities
CHOOSE A LEGAL PARTNER THAT'S COMMITTED TO YOUR SUCCESS.
To find out how we can help you through the complexities of today’s legal issues, call (916) 920-5286 or click below.