EXPERIENCE WITH NONPROFITS
WKBK&Y’s Nonprofit (Tax-Exempt Entities) Tax Services includes our Nonprofit Practice, which offers full legal representation of nonprofit organizations. Our lawyers work with nonprofits throughout Northern California, including public charities, private foundations, charitable trusts, trade associations, cooperatives and mutual benefit organizations.
We actively assist with legal issues for nonprofit organizations including:
- Formation, merger and dissolution
- Policy, including compensation, conflicts of interest and investment
- Operation and employment law
- Relationship agreements – independent affiliates, joint-ventures, government contracts
- For-profit subsidiaries and for profit-nonprofit partnerships
- Funding – endowments, planned gifting, fundraising
For formations, WKBK&Y assists with all basic legal concerns. For a nonprofit organization, the operations will be exempt from certain tax obligations that are followed by “for-profit” businesses. We can help a non-profit obtain the desired nonprofit status, including the tax-exempt 501(c)3; or 501(c)4; 501(c)(6), 501(c)7 or other exemption, depending on the objectives. Our nonprofit attorneys will help collect the necessary documentation, organize records and act to establish the organization as a qualified nonprofit—including developing the organizational structure, filing applications for determining exempt status and registration with the Registry of Charitable Trusts. We can advise on lobbying limitations and prohibited transactions.
FEDERAL TAX ISSUES
WKBK&Y can assist on multiple federal tax issues, including:
- Unrelated trade or business
- Election to tax lobbying
- Nonprofit tax accounting and tax reporting
- Tax compliance and non-filer penalty abatement
- State tax issues, including employment, sales and property tax law and exemptions
We recognize that nonprofits have a unique community presence that is based on goodwill and maintaining “public face,” which requires them to be sensitive in their dealings. Our attorneys have worked in assisting with board disputes, both as advocates and informal mediators. We also have helped resolve disputes with agencies, including the Registry of Charitable Trusts.
We believe in the nonprofit community and donate our time to serve on a number of major nonprofit boards in Northern California, as well as to educate Sacramento and Northern California nonprofits. Our attorneys teach at the Nonprofit Resource Center.
CHOOSE A LEGAL PARTNER THAT'S COMMITTED TO YOUR SUCCESS.
To find out how we can help you through the complexities of today’s legal issues, call (916) 920-5286 or click below.