IRS Posts Guidance on Changing from C Corp to S Corp

The IRS has posted on its website guidance for C corporations that wish to change to S corporation status.  (The guidance is available here).  The guidance lists four steps that corporations should take:

  1. Timely file Form 2553, Election by a Small Business Corporation (which is due no more than 2 months and 15 days after the beginning of the tax year in which the election is to take effect).
  2. Follow up with the Service if acknowledgment and approval of the S corporation election are not received.
  3. File the final Form 1120, U.S. Corporation Income Tax Return, by the due date or extended due date.
  4. File a Form 1120S, U.S. Income Tax Return for an S Corporation, by the due date or extended due date.

The guidance also discusses relief available to corporations that have not timely filed their S corporation election request.


Breaking Up is Hard to Do | Comstock’s Magazine Article

Before big-time Sacramento developer Mort Friedman passed away in 2012, he handed the keys of the family business to his ...

Comments on Proposed Regulations on Tax Return Preparer Due Diligence Penalty

Members of the Taxation Section of the California Lawyers Association (“CLA”) are pleased to submit these comments on proposed regulations ...


January 24, 2019 – SEPC Estate Planning Forum (formerly Technical Forum)

The Sacramento Estate Planning Council puts on this event annually and we are again proud to sponsor and attend this one-day ...
green and yellow boxes


To find out how we can help you through the complexities of today’s legal issues, call (916) 920-5286 or click below.